Seeger Chapel steeple against an orange sunset
News

A world of possibilities

Globetrotting professional finds time for MBA at Milligan

MILLIGAN COLLEGE, TN (August 4, 2011)—Tamira Sapp lives in Johnson City, Tenn., but her job takes her all over the world—from Singapore to Switzerland.

As a corporate compliance auditor with Pfizer Inc., Sapp spends about 40 percent of the year traveling internationally. The on-the-go professional never dreamed she could find time to fit graduate school into her busy schedule. After all, she thought attending class would be very difficult from Croatia, Malta, Israel or one of her other business destinations on the other side of the globe.

“I never really thought graduate school was possible for me at this time in my life until I learned about Milligan’s MBA program,” Sapp said. “One day, Milligan’s admissions representatives had a booth in the lobby at my place of employment. They were supposed to be there at 8 a.m., but they were all set up and ready at 7:30 a.m. That gave me lots of time to talk with them about Milligan’s program, and I was sold.”

Sapp learned that it was not only possible, but very manageable to complete her Master of Business Administration degree at Milligan.

Classes in Milligan’s 14-month MBA program meet one Saturday per month. The sessions are complemented by several weeks of ongoing discussion, class participation and other assignments, all facilitated by faculty using Internet-based resources. This provides flexible scheduling, while at the same time providing a thorough and in-depth program of study.

“God has blessed me abundantly with my job, which allows me to travel and see the world,” Sapp said. “But I didn’t know graduate school could work into my travel schedule. Milligan’s MBA allowed me to keep up with my travel and work requirements.”

Sapp, who received her Bachelor of Science degree in chemistry from Mercer University (Macon, Ga.), began her professional career as a stability chemist with Capsugel, a division of Pfizer. In 2005, she was hired as a corporate compliance auditor with King Pharmaceuticals Inc. (now Pfizer) in Bristol, Tenn. In this role, she is responsible for ensuring suppliers of Pfizer adhere to FDA and other regulatory authority guidelines.

While traveling is a bonus for Sapp, her favorite part of her job is the nature of her work.

“I enjoy my job because the company is making a product that can make sick people well,” said Sapp, who is a member of Friendship Baptist Church in Johnson City. “That’s another thing I appreciated about Milligan’s MBA—instead of focusing on making profits and the bottom line, the subjects are taught from a Christian business perspective.

“At the end of the day, I am more confident in my decision-making abilities because of my graduate studies at Milligan.”

She completed her MBA in December 2010. Sapp gained so much from her graduate studies that her professors at Milligan encouraged her to continue her education and pursue her Doctor of Business of Administration degree. She enrolled in an online program at Walden University in Minneapolis, Minn. The program is similar in format to Milligan’s MBA, so the transition was not difficult for Sapp.

“Because I just went through the MBA at Milligan, I was already in the mindset of being a student and working,” said Sapp, who will complete her DBA in December 2012. “The professors at Milligan made us write quality papers, which has helped me tremendously in the DBA program.”

After Sapp completes her educational goals, she hopes to move on to her next professional goal—becoming vice president for quality at a pharmaceutical manufacturer.

“The professors at Milligan want you to succeed and they encouraged us to make our goals happen,” Sapp said. “I feel well prepared for the next step.”

Milligan’s MBA cohorts meet on Milligan’s campus in the Tri-Cities and at Walters State Community College in Morristown, Tenn. Cohorts start in the fall (Milligan campus and WSCC Morristown) and spring (Milligan campus). The application deadline for the fall cohorts is Aug. 22.

For more information about Milligan’s MBA program, visit www.milligan.edu/mba or call 800.262.8337.

Posted by on August 4, 2011.