Seeger Chapel steeple against an orange sunset
News

Milligan senior’s art exhibit reflects world travels

MILLIGAN COLLEGE, TN (April 1, 2004) — Dimitri Jansen, a Milligan College senior fine arts major from Venice, Fla., will hold an exhibit of photographs, sculpture and painting on Sunday, April 4, at 2 p.m. The exhibit includes local photographs, as well as photographs from around the nation and world.

Jansen’s art reflects his travels across the United States and to Italy, France, Spain, Germany, England, Netherlands and Morocco. As Jansen backpacked through Europe, he captured the culture of the people through his photography.

“I have been given a gift in photography, but my art isn’t what’s really important to me.  People are important to me and my art gives me a chance to interact with people,” said Jansen. “My real hope is that God will show people encouragement and love while talking to me and that maybe my art can be a daily reminder of that.”

Jansen’s experiences as a Milligan student helped build his ability as an artist.

“Alice Anthony, art professor at Milligan, has been a great influence on me by how she has become part of her students’ lives, not just a part of their work,” said Jansen.

Jansen has worked as a photographer for the advancement office at Milligan College and has taught high school photography in Venice, Fla. He currently teaches a photography class at the Salvation Army in Johnson City. After Jansen graduates, he plans to pursue a career in teaching photography.

Admission to the exhibit is free and open to the public. For more information, please call 423-461-8764.

Posted by on April 1, 2004.